Sunday, February 24, 2008

Mother-love

Well, there is little time for poetry, less time for sleep and meals tend to be cooked and eaten one handed and in record speed. Life is unrecognisable but through my gorgeous son I am learning by demand to live in the moment. For most of the last 6 weeks I have felt like there is not enough time to do the basic things of life, let alone the 'other stuff' (though I do class creativity as basic!) but then, one day it dawned on me as I spent 2 hours lying on the bed next to Django burbling and smiling in response to his chatting away, and about 12 hours breastfeeding and a good few hours rocking and bouncing him and a few more washing and soaking poo and changing nappies - well, it occurred to me that in each action, there was completeness, in each act, a root of love - and in that moment, I realised that he was teaching me how to live in the moment and how to live in that moment completely held in the hand of love. And if that sounds mother-loved up, well...can you blame me with this lovely soul to share my hours with?

2 comments:

Gill said...

Time has no meaning....!

Ruth said...

Isn't it amazing, and beautiful, how our children become our teachers!