Sunday, May 20, 2007

One Simple Act of Love

Sal and I cheer on the other women at the finish line, having completed the race...


(Picture from left to right: me, Helen & Jane from Humanum.org.uk Free Homeopathic Cancer Care Clinic, Sal - we did the race!)

Today my sister Sal and I ran the Race for Life. Well, my sister ran and did it in 35 minutes. As for me, I came in 10 minutes later, complete with gloves, pink brolly and 1950's rockerbilly skirt. Well, you have to make the effort, darlink! I have done this race before, and I am always struck by how moving it is. As I went around, I passed women who were running in memory of their children, parents, siblings, friends, partners and everyone who ran had a smile to share. And a few tears. I couldn't help but think how amazing women are - the way they come together and take action to make change happen for the better. How powerful that is, and how uplifting. Just think, if every woman turned out on the street to race against the war and conflict and greed and tyranny and abuse happening in the world today - each single person, united, could change the world for better. Right now.

We didn't have to run far. We didn't have to race fast. The person coming in first and the person coming in last were equal. Some raised 1000's of pounds for Cancer Research, some raised £10. Women of 80+ and children as young as 6 months took part. Oh, and a dog that seemed to know where the finishing line was and promptly collapsed and wouldn't be moved!

So - how about it? Race to heal the earth. Today is International World Peace Day. The sun is shining. And I know for certain each one of us has the power to change this world to love. It is worth more than a passing thought.

Thanks to all those who sponsored us - we have raised £230. Our target was £300. But we are pleased with our contribution. Today, 1050 women raised awareness of the need for adequate cancer care, and we also raised £120,000. So, all of you who sponsored us helped make that possible. And if anyone wants to sponsor us online now, and help us reach our target - we just need another £70 - just go to:

http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/wildwomenpress

Thank you xx





2 comments:

Gill said...

well done vik and sal- mind you I would have run round quickly too if the missing portaloos had been there at the finish line!!

Ruth said...

Well done you Wild Women!